Jul 8, 2008

Nothing Comes from Nothing

I always thought this song from the Sound of Music was kind of interesting... maybe because I think of myself as a Maria, twirling on a mountain top and causing mischief, getting kicked out of the convent. I guess it says something about my perception of myself as a child, and maybe I'll come to terms someday with being that bad willful kid who never did what she was supposed to do. In the meantime, I think that this sums up how how I feel about Andyroo sometimes:

Perhaps I had a wicked childhood,
perhaps I had a miserable youth
But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past,
there must have been a moment of truth

For here you are standing there loving me,
whether or not you should
So somewhere in my youth or childhood,
I must have done something good

~~~
For 4th of July weekend we went camping on the Olympic Peninsula with Andre and our new BFF Nicole. We literally said "Hey let's go camping!" on Tuesday, bought a map on Wednesday, bought a tent on Thursday, bought beer and wine in a box on Friday, and hopped in the car on Saturday. I love that I live in a place where I can do that, and that I'm friends with people who would think it was a good idea, because I grew up in a family where we always said "We should go to fill-in-the-blank" but never did.

We saw this ridiculous crystal clear lake where you could see the bottom, and huge sequoia and spruce trees, and parts of Mt. Olympus, and deer and grouse and banana slugs, and walked under these crazy moss trees, and had a guided tour of the tide pools. I feel like a little kid telling the story: "And then... and then... and then.." But it was just endless beauty all around. It was my first camping experience ever and I got to sleep on the beach in a tent with my boyfriend in the only rainforest in the continental US while leftover fireworks were going off on the Indian reservation.

Camping is so cool! I wanna camp all the time! Hiking and fishing and taking pictures and smelling bad and eating beef jerky and telling stories and seeing beautiful things.

Anyways, it'll be a bit before I upload all 200 of my photos from the trip and 4th of July, but here's my favorite of Andy and Andre:

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Awww... you lucky girl!! Your 4th sounded like it was delicious!! That picture looks like you should have been singing on the cliffs with your guitar all while dressed in a curtain. :) That what Maria would do.

Whenever I watch Sound of Music and they get to the part where Maria had just danced with the Captain, I feel like Maria. Not because its incredibly romantic and my life is like so like that. (So not!) But they sort of stare at each other all googily eyed and then Brigitta CALLS HER OUT and says "Your face is all red!"

I always feel for Maria right at that moment.

;)

Beth said...

That Brigitta was such a brat.

I actually kind of hate The Sound of Music because I overdosed on it when I was a kid and then it became trite and overplayed to me, kind of like K-Ci & Jojo's All My Life song, circa 1998.

But just like that song, The Sound of Music is just hitting its "aww, I remember that!" phase for me right now.

Nicole said...

I Will Never Find Another Lover
Sweeter Than You
Sweeter Than You..


AWWW... that song makes me nostalgic and nauseated at the same time!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you've discovered camping and the Olympic Peninsula! Hope you'll be back.
Next time try Sol Duc Hot Springs, Mora, or Kalaloch.

mollie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mollie said...

thats what i love about colorado too. i went back to los angeles and realized i love colorado now more than ever! we are planning to go rafting on the colorado river in the near future. you need to come visit!