Mar 23, 2008

Savor Seattle

For Valentine's Day (yeah, I've been a little behind schedule in my blogging), Andy took me to a nice dinner and to see Persepolis which I had been dying to watch for months.

For my gift, I treated Andy to a little local food tour of Pike Place, called Savor Seattle.


They took us to a lot of the famous Pike Place stalls and stores, like Market Spice and Chukar Cherries but they also introduced us to some places we hadn't tried yet like The Confectional for hot chocolate and Etta's for coconut cream pie. At the famous fish market where they throw the fish over the counter we got to taste salmon jerky and gawk at the handsome fishmongers. They're the like rubber-overalled version of firemen, except instead of smokey, they smell fishy.


The tour guide and owner of Savor Seattle is the most upbeat adorable little woman named Angela. She uses a pink "Savor Seattle" umbrella to guide tours through the bustle of the market, and chatters away in your ear over the headset.


My favorite stop was the Beecher's Cheese Shop where we got to sample some of their artisan cheese AND...


... their "World's Best" Mac & Cheese! I'm not qualified to say whether it's indeed the best in the world, but it was pretty damn gooey and delicious.


Next we sampled Piroshky Piroshky, which is another of our new favorite foods at Pike Place. Hot, inexpensive and tasty. Oh, and I almost forgot the mini doughnuts at The Daily Dozen, which also exemplify the street-food-triad of deliciousness. No pictures, but if you come visit us in Seattle we'll take you to get a bag.


I loved the smoked salmon piroshki. I dunno if it's spelled with an "I" or a "Y" at the end. I prefer Y for "Yummy!" Ha.


The view from Etta's near Pike Place. A beautiful clear crisp day in Seattle.


One of our last stops, Angela told us about the art exhibit drain pipe system in one of the Pike Place alleys.


Andy enjoyed the piroshkis so much that later we visited Piroshki on Broadway in Capitol Hill and had these cute salmon and turkey piroshkis. Definitely not as good as the ones at Pike Place, but much cuter.

1 comment:

Beecher's Handmade Cheese said...

Thanks for the review on our Mac & Cheese! We appreciate you taking the time and would love to thank you with a sampling of some new frozen sides we’ve been working on – all just as cheesy as our macs! If you’re interested, shoot your contact/shipping information to cheesemonger@beecherscheese.com and we’ll drop some in the mail. We’re happy to delete your info after we ship you the goods, just let us know! Thanks again!