Mar 15, 2008

SoDo Claypool

Last night Mr. Les Claypool came to town to the Showbox SoDo and he brought some friends with him. He had a somewhat unique quartet featuring Les on bass, Skerik on sax, Mike Dillon on percussion and a new drummer I haven't seen him play with before, Paulo Baldi.


All in all it was a fine show and Les was in good form. They played some of his current stuff off of Whales of Woe and some old Primus stuff too. Fisticuffs was a big surprise and brought a smile to my face. Although, for some reason I never quite dig the midway drum solo (aka Les' lunch break). It always leaves me with a headache.

After seeing a Claypool concert, or any concert for that matter but especially one with Les, it's always very inspirational. The next day I pick up my bass and can play with a rejuvenated spirit and passion. Also there's always a song of his I haven't fully learned to play and I'm forced to investigate a little further. I've seen him live probably eight times now and while I've never been quite as amazed as the first time I saw Les play, he always manages to inspire me musically a little more.

Here's the set list as best I remember it:
1) Ding Dang
2) Fisticuffs
3) Some song I wasn't familiar with.
4) Long in the Tooth
5) Precipitation
6) Drum Solo followed by Whammola
7) Filipino Ray
8) Vernon the Company Man
9) John the Fisherman
10) Rumble of the Diesel
11) One Better
Encore
12) American Life (on bass banjo)
13) Iowan Gal (on bass banjo)
14) Morphine cover

No comments: